What is a Young Carer?
A Young Carer is someone under the age of 18 who cares and supports someone in their family, or a friend who has:
- a disability
- illness/long term health condition
- a mental health condition
- misuses drugs or alcohol
The term Young Carer does not apply to the everyday and occasional help around the home that many children and young people in families complete. Somethings Young Carers may be doing:
- Practical tasks such as cooking, housework and shopping
- Physical care such as helping some one out of bed
- Emotional support
- Personal care such as helping someone to dress
- Managing the family budget
- Helping to give medications
- Looking after brothers or sisters
Therefore, Young Carers offers support to those who young people who devote so much of their lives to taking care of their loved ones. Statistics show that there are estimated to be over 700,000 Young Carers in England.
The Young Carers Team
The Young Carers team at North Lincolnshire Council can provide the following support:
- Somebody to talk to
- Support around the caring role
- Share information about other services that help and support
- Help to identify activities in the community
- Set up support within school
Some useful resources to support our Young Carers and their families.
How to get support from the Young Carers Team?
- Talk to family, including those needing support and care
- Ask a trusted adult to contact the team to discuss a referral
- Once the referral is accepted, a Key Worker will be allocated
- The Key Worker will write to the Young Carer and family to atrrange a visit
- During the visit, the Key Worker will discuss the role of a Young Carer and ask how the individual feels about this
- A plan of support will be agreed to help Young Carers in their role
Areas of Support
Young Carers are encouraged to seek support from:
- School Nurse
- Social Worker
- Youth Worker
To find out more information, please search "Carers Trust Know Your Rights".
Hear the difference "Young Carers" can make to a family:
Families can also find further information around the Local Offer below:
Wellbeing and Young Carers Team, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, DN15 6NL
Tel: 01724 297502